Thursday, January 20, 2011

butterfly effect

Ladysmiths art a day project:
This is a pair of earrings that I started today using a piece of metal that I etched a while back. It is etched on both sides. The back is a geometric collage that I put together and then transferred with pnp paper. The butterflies I handpainted using asphaltum. I've had it for a while wondering when I was going to do something with it. Then it just hit me. What am I waiting for? It's not like it's this rare commodity. I can etch copper whenever I want. Also, the metal itself stands alone as a design element, so whatever I do with it can be simple. I played around with beads either above or below the main rectangle. Didn't like that. I also considered curving the elements slightly, but I think that I'll leave them alone.
My plan is to solder half links vertically on to the backs and then connect with round links leaving some space between the links so that the round connecting link (that will be in the back) is visible in the front. I thought of doing that in gold but why? It's the butterflies that I want to highlight. I'll (prisma) color the butterflies. The half link that I use for the top links will continue up to be the earwire. That way I'll have only one solder for the back.

4 comments:

CarolynArtist said...

so pretty, love the process description...Sandra? Peggy? Ellen?

artjewelsz said...

Thanks for all your comments.I just put up a facebook page. Do you think you could "like" it. I just put it up this week. The facebook app that you use to tell your friends wasn't working this morning when I decided that I would publisize. Made me think that maybe the time was wrong, or maybe all those high school friends never liked me anyway.lol I actually worried 30 years later. Could you take a look at the page and tell me what you really think? But "like" it no matter what:)

artjewelsz said...

just search for art jewels z on fb

CarolynArtist said...

you are so you!:-)